Friday, September 3, 2010

Gearing up

This week I completed "gearing up" for the climb. I've surely made LLBean and REI very happy.

I need to be prepared for hot humid rain forest to start, and extreme cold at the summit. I purchased a new sleeping bag (good to zero F), camp pillow, sky pants, balaclava, two layers of thermal underwear, light weight long sleeve shirts, safari sun hat, fast drying Safari pants (jeans are discouraged because they don't dry well if wet), rapid dry camp towel, duffel bags, trekking poles, and water proof pack covers. I have also bought insulated water bottles (needed to prevent drinking water from freezing on the day I will try to reach the summit), water purification tabs, isotonic salt hydration mixes, high energy trail bars, headlamp for the summit attempt which starts at 1:00 AM), extra camera and blackberry batteries.

I will carry a day pack with up to 20 pounds, including the days water, energy bars, dried fruit, anticipated clothes/rain gear, electronics, binoculars, bird book, and my first aid kit. Along with 4 hiking companions, my climbing group will include a guide, a cook, and porters. A porter will carry my duffel bag with 30 pounds of my gear I don't carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment