Thursday, September 9, 2010

Africa Day 4, part 2

Today we had close looks at African Buffalo, Hippoptamus, Thopson's Gazelle, Grant's Gazelle, Black-faced Vervet Monkey, Olive Baboon, Warthog, Common Eland, and Hartebeest. In addition I had moderate to distant views of African Elephant, Lion, Black Rhinoceros, Spotted Hyaena, Black-backed Jackel and Common Jackel.
Here are today's pictures of hyaena, buffalo, hippo, and a large bird called a Kori Bustard.
Today was the best day of birding I saw more than 100 species, including 51 new ones. Highlights included a Saddle-billed Stork, Gray Crowned-Crane, Greater and Lesser Flamingo, Bateleur (a colorful hawk). You can check these out in Wikipedia.
Of course I hope the time I am spending at 4000 to 5000 feet will help acclimate me for the Kilimanjaro attempt now only 14 days ahead. On the other hand the wildlife viewing has required almost no exercise, so I worry I will lose some of my training capacity for long hikes and climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment