Monday, September 27, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro: Day 2

Clouds cleared last night and I had a great view of the stars. In the middle of the night, on a trip to the outhouse, Orion was straight up and the moon shown brightly on the Mt. I could see the glaciers and snow quite clearly.
Perhaps not surprisingly, I had trouble sleeping, maybe the altitude, maybe it was because I haven't slept in a tent on the ground in 20 years. But at least I was warm all night wearing one layer of long john type underwear (I have two layers). In the morning we had frost so it did get cold. But once the sun's rays reached our camp it warmed quickly and by the time we set out no jackets were needed. In fact today's hike was a steep ascent right from the start as we left the rain forest and moved into scrub. All day we ascended a along a ridge top in very dusty conditions. After 5 hrs we reached Shira camp, only 3.5 miles and about 2700 feet higher. Again today our guide set a slow pace so we would have the maximum chance to acclimate. We are now at 12,000 feet. I and others in my group now feel the altitude, if one moves too quickly you become short of breath.
The days hike afforded wonderful views of the peak, off an on, clouds would obscure part of the peak, but mostly it was sunny and visible. We can now differentiate glaciers and snow fields on the top.
Birding has been pretty slow. For new birds, I saw an Abyssinian Crimsonwing in the rain forest yesterday, and Alpine Chats today above 11,000 feet. Of course I've seen some birds I can identify, like large falcon that flew over my tent this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment