Friday, September 24, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro: Day -1

Flew into Kilimanjaro International Airport this morning and have been preparing for the start of the climb tomorrow. The skies were clear and the Mt. looks very high! Our flight from Nairobi only went to 17000 ft, 2500 feet lower than the peak.
I am staying in the town of Moshe, Tanzania, which is the stepping off place for climbs. Mt. Kilimanjaro and surrounding foot hills are protected as Mt. Kilimanjaro National Park.
I haven't met the climbing guide yet or the other 4 climbers in my group. But the plane seemed about half full of folks with hiking boots and backpacks, so it's likely multiple groups are going up.
I am going to try to bird watch along the way, everyone says the key to success is to go slow, and of course birding forces me to stop which will slow my pace.
I can see lots of snow/ice on the Northeast side of the Mt. The two pictures were taken between 10:00 amd 11:00, when the Mt. was clear but hazy. By 1:00 clouds had obscured the peak.

1 comment:

  1. glad to see you made it back to Tanzania! hope you have a wonderful ascent. Becky

    ReplyDelete