Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The end of Training!

Well its finally happened, I’ve run out of time to train. Since April I’ve biked 1200 miles, and hiked over 150 miles and on Sat I leave for East Africa.

Am I really ready? I think so, but there are still the big unknowns:
Will I acclimate to the altitude above 12,000 feet or develop altitude sickness?
Can I avoid traveler’s diarrhea?
Do I have the stamina and knees to climb for 5 days straight?
Do I have the right gear so my layers keep me cool at the start and warm at the top, but I avoid getting too hot?
If I make it to the summit, will my knees hold up on the 14 mile, 9000 ft descent on day 5 and the 5000 ft 9 mile descent on day 6?
Will the unexpected rain in East Africa this week cause heavy snow cover on the mountain that will limit the climb?
After 30 days in East Africa, will I avoid malaria?

Stay tuned, I’ll post the answers in three weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment