Sunday, August 8, 2010

My climb will be in memory of my dad, James MacNeil

Although the climb is a personal challenge, as readers of this blog (are there any?) know, I am also using this occasion to raise awareness of Lung diseases. My family has been especially hard hit by multiple lung diseases, so I have partnered with the American Lung Association, to raise money for their research and education efforts. I am still reaching out to my friends and colleagues to ask for their support.

But the more I think about what this climb means to me, the more I think about my dad. He set me on a course to become a scientist by his own intellectual curiosity about the world around us. He helped me ask the why and how about the world we live in. I remember that even at avery young age, he took me to road cuts blasted through rock so we could explore the geology, he took me to the CT parks where we looked for unuusual plants and animals, and he bought a telescope so we could explore the night sky. So I think it is most fitting that I dedicate my climb to his memory. Although he died relatively young, in part due to his life long battle with asthma, I know he would be an enthusiastic supporter of my African adventure.

1 comment:

  1. hi doug, yes you have at least 1 reader, although sporadic. heading over to make a donation now. good luck!

    bret

    ReplyDelete