Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vacation or Training?




Last week I had a lovely vacation at Barnegat Light on Long Beach Island at the Jersey Shore. Good weather; every day the ocean was different, it varied from calm to strong waves, warm to cool, clear blue to grey. It was a good time to relax with my wife, Tanya, and daughters, Laura and Emily, and enjoy fresh seafood each evening.

As a consequence, I did not do any hiking along the AT. Still I did keep up my training. Tanya and I started each day with a 2.5 mile walk to the light house and out on the Jetty. Later I did a 20-25 mile bike ride on the island. Since the Island is level, it was interesting to see the effect of the sea breeze, with wind behind me I could maintain 22 miles an hour, but into the sea breeze and I was slowed down to 16 mph. So over the week I was able to ride 125 miles.

On Sunday I set out for a 10 mile hike in the Watchungs, but because of afternoon rain, I only completed 8 miles. Still it was another chance to follow my enhanced hydration strategy: every half hour I stop and consume 330 mls of water or an isotonic salt and water mix. It really seems to keep my energy level up. Once again, my thiamine patch worked quite well to keep insects away.

No comments:

Post a Comment