Saturday, July 17, 2010

Training update: week Jul 17




Training reward: View of the Delaware River from the top of Mt. Tammany, a 1000 ft ascent on a side trail off the Appalachian Trail.





My Kilimanjaro Guide group has a 8 week training program:
http://www.climbingkilimanjaro.com/climbing-kilimanjaro-fitness.php

But it is designed around a Gym, the idea of working out indoors on sweaty machines has NO appeal to me.

So I have invented my own program: Gradually I have been increasing my biking to >100 miles a week (I enjoy riding outdoors) and go as hard as I can. Then I do at least one hike along the NJ Appalachian trial: starting from 8 miles and building up towards 20 miles. The ultimate test will be to do two hikes of ~15 miles back to back on a weekend.

Biking was on target this week, I reached 100.26 miles. Thanks to the odometer I got for Father's Day from Tanya I now know how far I go and at what speed. I was able to bike everyday but Sunday (that's the Hiking day) and Wednesday (heavy rain).

Hiking was also was on target: as detailed earlier I did 14.5 miles and made two 1000 foot ascents.


For next tomorrow's hike I plan to reach my maximum one day distance: 20 miles.

Training Update Jul 18: Success, well I did the 20 miles in almost exactly 8 hrs. But it is pretty close to my limit, by the end my feet and legs were pretty sore. Also a bit more discomfort in my right knee, noticeable wen going down steep slopes. Hope I don't get stuck coming down Kilimanjaro!

No comments:

Post a Comment