Monday, June 28, 2010

24000 steps forward, 2 steps backward

Last week was a good week for training. I rode over 100 miles, including a 10 mile hill climbing session in the Watchung Reservation. Tanya got me a odometer/speedometer for my bike so I now will be bale to accurately track my weekly biking.

I also extended my hiking distance along the Appalachian Trail, from 8 miles last weekend to 11 miles this Sunday. It took me 4.5 hrs and 24000 steps (I wear a pedometer). I felt pretty good and was considering going an extra 4 miles to climb another peak, but I started getting pain in the second toes on each foot. I had no pain last week, but this week I was wearing an extra layer of wool socks to simulate climbing Kilimanjaro in the cold sub zero weather.

When I got home, both second toes had accumulated blood under the nails, and I assume I'll lose both nails. So today I ordered a new pair of boots a ½ size larger, now I have to break them in and see if they work better.

Interesting wildlife along the AT this week; a doe and fawn, a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (very beautiful) singing lightly only 10 feet off the trail, a Five-lined Skink (one of only 3 lizards found in NJ, I didn’t know any were found in NJ!), and a Timber Rattler, sunning itself in the middle of the trail. I encouraged the rattler to leave with a stick, it gave me a nice shake of its rattle and slowly crawled off into the woods. First rattle snake I ever saw!

No comments:

Post a Comment